Thursday, April 4, 2013

pretzel-topped peanut butter cups

Let's be honest, I'm still mourning the loss of "Gandee Candy". And it's probably best that you can't hear me saying "Gandee Candy" aloud right now in my best West Virginian accent, which shockingly (I know) isn't very good. I can't help it though, that was a catchy nickname and the only two words I could actually make out from the hours of televised gibberish. Needless to say, I've been itching to make myself some candy. Damn, I really wish I had a cool nickname right about now.

But, for these one-bite wonders, you'll need something like this. You'll thank me when you use it. Candy making has never been easier. The silicone candy molds are definitely the way to go. Bonus points, because they look just like Reese's Minis.

Pretzel-Topped Peanut Butter Cups
Yields about 60 mini cups

INGREDIENTS
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter (I use the kind from Trader Joe's with peanuts as the only ingredient)
3/4 cup powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup crushed pretzels (I used pretzel crisps, because that's all I had.)
2 1/2+ cups of your favorite chocolate (This will vary based on how quickly you work! Chocolate can be temperamental. To be safe, just have A LOT of chocolate on hand.)

DIRECTIONS
1. To prepare filling: With a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat together peanut butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Hell, if you want to fit in a workout at the same time, you can grab a wooden spoon and put some muscle into mixing these ingredients up the old-fashioned way.
2. To prepare chocolate: In a microwavable bowl, melt chocolate in 30 second intervals-- stirring well in between and making sure not to overheat. When the chocolate looks almost all melted (still a few lumps here and there), you can stir a little longer to finish the melting process. 
3. To prepare the cups: With your finger, paint each spot in a silicone candy mold with your chocolate-- covering all sides and crevices. Paint it well, so you have a nice nest for your peanut butter filling.
4. Then go back and place a rounded ball of the peanut butter filling into each cup.
5. With a small spoon, pour more of the melted chocolate on top to fill the cups completely. Make sure it fills around the sides of the peanut butter, too! It helps if you use the back of the spoon to smooth down the chocolate.
6. Immediately sprinkle the crushed pretzel on top.
7. Pop the silicone candy mold into the refrigerator for about 3 minutes until the chocolate has set and hardened.
8. Pop the candies out of the mold and then pop them into your mouth! 

It really doesn't matter how messy this looks, because they will still turn out perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment